Ways we’ve saved/earned this week

These are the things we’ve done this week to save some money:

  • I’ve kept all the lights off until it’s too dark and we’ve had the windows open.  I love this time of year since the electric bills are so low.
  • Done most of my shopping in just a few trips out of the house and planned out to get the best use for my gas.
  • Matched my coupons with some grocery sales to get a few good deals and am planning on getting a few more great deals tomorrow.
  • We’ve been eating at home and last night was fend for yourself night and we used up all the leftovers so nothing is going to waste.
  • My father bought hubby a Mr Coffee Keurig for Christmas.  We thought it was a great idea because he is the only one that drinks regular coffee and so we were wasting alot of coffee, anyways K-Cups are not cheap!!!  So to combat that he also bought us the reusable cup that you fill yourself which is great when it’s not super early at 6am with those so easy K-Cups sitting right there but a quick trip to the dollar store and I’ve fixed that.  I picked up a 10 pk of really small plastic containers and measured the coffee into those so now all he has to do is dump one of those in the reusable one and brew.
  • We’ve been running the dishwasher only when it is full and use the no heat option.

While saving is great there are also a few great ways to earn a bit of money and this is what I’ve done this week.

  • I use Swagbucks for all my searches.  You’d be surprised how fast those bucks add up to free money, Amazon giftcards, or many other giftcards
  • I’ve been reading and clicking on all the MyPoints emails I get.  I usually cash out for giftcards late summer or early spring and use them to help pay for Christmas gifts.
  • I’ve recently started using Superpoints which is turning out to be one of my favorite programs.  It’s by invite only right now but if you click on the name above it’ll take you to a page of invites from me.  If they don’t work just leave me a comment with your email and I’ll send you an invite.  They make it super easy to earn points and you can also cash out for Amazon giftcards, Starbucks, cash via Paypal, etc (and unlike Swagbucks cash won’t cost you anymore points then a giftcard!!!)
  • I’ve been working on cleaning and decluttering the house and while I’m at it I’m filling boxes with stuff for the next yardsale.
  • I’ve been working on items for my Etsy store, if you have a craft or trade that you are good at you should really sit down and see if there is a way to turn that into money.  Etsy is a great place to sell your handmade items and I’ve had some good successes with it.

So how have you been saving??  I’d love to hear what you are doing to save or earn this year is a year of pinching pennies for me and I’ll take any ideas I can get.

posted under |

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I love the way you pre-measure the k-cups. I don't have a Kuerig, but have several friends that do and I'll be passing this tip on to them!

Kathy said...

I also bought my husband a Keurig two Christmas' ago because I don't drink coffee. Now that he is retired he drinks 4-5 of them a day which is expensive. So I buy an 80 pack at Sam's which makes them 50 cents each which is about as cheap as you can get them. The only drawback is the 80 pack is all one flavor (which he doesn't mind). I am always on the lookout for sales and coupons to get them as cheap as I can at Kohl's or Younkers. It's a little too late to take the pot back and go back to a regular as he really does enjoy it. Oh wel, try to cut back on some other things and let him enjoy his coffee. I created the monster. LOL

Unknown said...

Kathy there are lots of refillable options out there if you can get him to use one. Here's a bunch on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=livonabud02-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=kcup%20filter&url=search-alias%3Daps

I always keep my Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons and pick them up there as he really likes a flavor they have. I'll have to check my BJ's thanks for the Sam's tip I hadn't thought to look at that type of store.

Allison said...

Make sure you keep an eye out for the freebie K-cups on FB--I've gotten C at least 20 K-cups for free.

We've been really, really diligent about not eating out, which is difficult when I'm exhausted and pregnant, but it's been really good. We had lunch out one day this weekend, but otherwise haven't eaten out in a week and a half, which is odd for us. Today I was even in a building with a food court with a meeting ending at noon and another beginning at one and took the time to walk back to my building and eat my leftovers that I brought. I was proud of that one.

I also bought a whole chicken and used that meat. That isn't abnormal, but then I also used the liquid to make homemade chicken broth so I didn't have to buy cans of it for meals this week.

Unknown said...

Allison I did get some freebie cups on Facebook too, of course hubby took them to work before he got his machine and used them there because he didn't like the flavor that they provided.

I love that you are eating home, it saves soo much money. I'm working on rebuilding our I'm too tired to cook stash so we have some easy meals. I almost always make soup with the leftover bones one of these days I'm just going to make broth.

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.
Business 2 Blogger

Recent Comments