Where to Start in Couponing

I know have a few readers that are fairly new to shopping the way I do.  I understand that the deals I get seem impossible to replicate.  That being said I’m going to list a few pointers that will get you started on the right foot.  Please feel free to email me or leave a comment if something doesn’t seem to fit for you or it seems like too much. The most important part of getting good deals are coupons.  You need to get your coupons.  There are 4 sources of coupons that you need to start using right now. 

  1. You need to get out and make sure you get a copy of the Sunday paper, if your local paper doesn’t have much for coupons check the next town over you might be surprised.  Typically you will get 1 Smartsource insert and 1 Redplum insert a week.  Once a month there is a Proctor and Gamble insert and sometimes there is a General Mills insert.  I’ll try and post how many inserts will be in the paper each week.  There are a few weeks a year (holiday weekends) that there aren’t any coupons and I’ll post those too.  Here’s the part alot of noncouponers have a problem with, Buy 2 newspapers!!!  When a product goes on sale buy 1 get 1 free you can use 2 coupons and make that item very cheap/free.  I buy 4 or 6 newspapers a week sure it cost $6 but I save sooo much more than that on my groceries.
  2. The internet is a great resource for high value coupons.  Lately companies have been offering great coupons if you become a fan of them on Facebook.  You can print coupons off through the link on the sidebar to coupons.com as well.  When there’s a great coupon I’ll post it.  So make sure you check in often.
  3. When you are in the grocery store you’ll see blinkie machines.  If it’s a product that you use or one that you might use grab 2.  That product may be on sale in the coming weeks.  After doing this for awhile I can tell you that a lot of those little machines pop up a few weeks before a good sale comes along.  There are also coupons directly on packages on occasion so make sure that you look for those.
  4. The last source I’m going to go over today is the Manufacturer.  When I post about free samples you can get 8 times out of 10 that sample will come with a coupon.  If there is a product that you use alot but never get coupons for (Sunny Delight for me) write them an email and praise their products.  As long as you include your address you might get some coupons and they are almost always high value.  In the same sense if you are unhappy with a purchase write to the company and give them a chance to make it right.  You may get coupons to try a different flavor or you might get a refund.

When you get coupon inserts don’t go through and clip the brands you use and throw the rest away!!!!  Get a file folder and a stapler, write the date on the front of the insert, staple it together and stick it in a folder.  You have no idea how many different brands and products we’ve tried because they were free.  This goes with the second biggest piece of advice I can give you: DO NOT BE A BRAND SNOB!  If you always buy Brand A you might be spending alot more than if you gave Brand B a chance.  I’m not saying you have to start only buying store brands in fact in my overly stuffed pantry there are very few things that are store brands.  You know why store brands have no coupons and never go on sale.  Brand names start out more expensive but pair a good sale with a coupon and you may be looking at alot less than the store brand.

When you hear about a good sale or I post the grocery deals I see for your store don’t delay.  Good sales don’t last forever, people may beat you there and buy out all the stock so it’s best to go as early as possible.  Be aware of the days your stores run their sales for instance Publix in my area sales run Thursday-Wednesday most weeks but if you go to Georgia (I think) they run Wednesday-Tuesday.  Also get familiar with your stores policies, alot of stores double coupons but not in every state.  Again in Georgia Publix doubles but they don’t here.  You can have a more successful and much less stressful trip to the store if you know what the rules are at your store.

Since this is already super long please let me know if you have any additional questions.  Don’t be shy to leave Anonymous comments or you can always email me.

posted under |

2 comments:

American Dreamer said...

Fantastic post!

Unknown said...

Thanks Precious! I hope it helps some newbies out.

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Business 2 Blogger

Recent Comments